Monday, September 21, 2009

The Islands








My "word creation" project was inspired by my exchange to Hawaii. My sentence was, "The beers were flowing while we danced to the music of the islands where time did not exist." I wanted my collages of Hawai'i to be busy and cluttered because my trip to the islands was filled with wild adventures. I used a beer bottle cap from the local brewery that has Hawai'ian words on the backs with one that said "Ohana" meaning "Family" because these people were my family and now Hawai'i is a home to me. I scanned my ukelele because it has been a large part of my life since my trip to the islands, and music is an important part of the Hawai'ian culture as well as dance. I also used a sattelite image of the islands. I wanted to capture the beauty of Hawai'i as well as try and express how incredible the people and the memories were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment